Thursday, April 23, 2009

A quandry and a query

Per my husband's request, I am going to bring a debate here to my blog. It's a stupid debate, the kind a husband and wife get into and go to others to settle, which will inevitably leave one of us (most likely me if history is any portent) will end up being "wrong". Mind you...this is a stupid debate, but if we could get some feedback, maybe we could come to some sort of agreement.

It's about our toilet seat. (Collective groan) I know, I know, if you're married, you've probably had some form of this discussion. Here's the problem. Justin was well trained as a child growing up and he always closes the toilet seat, cover and all. This would seem like a good thing, right? Well, having lived with girls most of my life, which means that there was not a lot of manipulation of seats, I have always generally left the cover up unless we have guests. We really don't have a problem until night time when I stumble to the bathroom and, half asleep, sit down on the seat cover and come to that realization just moments before a mishap takes place.

Now, I think that it's not that big of a deal for Justin to just leave the cover up, at least at night. However, Justin thinks that how he does it is the "proper way" and, therefore, I should learn to adjust. I agree with him that generally his way is the best way and that when I am in my best conscious mind I have no problem just lifting up the cover. All I am asking for is the night time. Just leave the cover up at night. Is that so much to ask? Seriously. I'm asking all of you. Justin wanted me to take this to the blog, and so we will respect your decision. Help us.

7 comments:

daveost said...

No Problem. Cut a hole in the lid. Paint a bulls-eye on it for Justin.

shannonbenbow said...

Sorry, I have to go with Justin on this one. It is better down. And, if you do it one way you can't switch it up. That would be like putting your right shoe on first one day and your left shoe on first the next. That's just weird.

Leslie Alt said...

I stand behind Katie with the night issue, but i stand behind Justin during the day.

LindaM said...

Sorry, Katie, but I too must side with Justin. Somehow through the miracle of God or pure luck, I have been able to not only train my husband but all three kids, including Michael (a 20-year-old college student now) to close the lid every single time. Michael is considered the "weird" one by his roommates but he doesn't care. He thinks it was a good lesson I taught him and will be the "right" thing to do when he gets married.

Wayward Son said...

I'm a month behind, but I'm also going to have to side with Justin on this, Katie. Keeping the lid down at all times clutz-proofs the toilet. Depending on the layout of one's bathroom, it's quite easy to knock something off the counter and into the bowl. Or drop something on its way into the linen closet. Or off the top of the tank and into the bowl. So for safety reasons, I'm going with Justin on this.

Robyn Hines said...

*headscritch* I'm used to leaving it down too, but that might be because I have three cats and they'll all drink out of the toilet if I don't.

Jen said...

Hmmm, neither one of us do that - Matt usually remembers to put the seat down. Though I would have to say that having the lid down in the middle of the night is probably better than the seat up... =/

Just take the lid off when he's not home! Problem solved!