Monday, December 3, 2007

A head to hang no hat on

17 Days of hair and counting. I'm officially shaving my head on the 20th of December (mark your calendars). All of my experts have advised me to be proactive instead of waiting until it begins to fall out, so I will shave it off directly before we fly to Texas.

Therefore, I must begin to entertain the important questions: hat, scarf, wig, or combination platter? I've nixed the wig idea so far because I am convinced I would look ridiculous. Besides, I had a good example lain before me in my mother who never chose to wear a wig. When I suggested it to her she basically said, "I don't care if I'm bald, and if it bothers other people they can just get over it." Well put I think. So unless its an 80's hot pink rocker wig (you know, to have something for more formal occasions, i.e. Justin's company's holiday party) I will be passing on wigdom.

As for scarf vs. hat, my plan is to go primarily for hats mixed intermittently with some chosen scarves. So, in a preemptive strike, I've been scouting out hats. What I have found, however, is that the universal shopping laws have held true once again, as sure as the universal laws of gravity. (Dear science geeks, I realize that the law of gravity is not universal in that it only applies to earth. Please do not comment with lectures of E=MC^2 and whatnot. I will hurt you. This applies especially to you, Justin.) As usual, whenever one specifically needs an item such as a red blouse, a formal dress, or as in this case, a cute hat, one can almost never find something to suit. At the mall today I examined 8-9 stores for decent hats and found squat. I found crap tons of scarves and gloves, but only a moderate selection of hats. Most of the ones I did find were cute minus the poof ball on top of them. Or they looked great...with hair. Sigh. I even braved Abercrombie & Fitch and lost 10% of my hearing because I was so desperate. So, friends, romans, countrymen, find me some hats. Seriously. If you see anything cute, drop me a post. Specifically, I'm looking for some knit beanie-ish kind of hat, preferably in solids. Please. I need all the help I can get.

3 comments:

anglibyerian said...

I've heard that Texas Rangers baseball hats are acceptable at all times of year and in every occasion.
Tom Riggs

Ouider's Wonders said...

I had a friend that bought one of those "old man hats with scraggly white hair hanging down" - she wore it everytime she drove - she just loved to watch the people's reactions! It is a miracle she didn't cause a wreck!!

Sometimes she would even wear it into the stores. It was fun to be with her.

We will keep an eye out for something a bit more suitable.

Hope to see you and Justin when you come to Texas. Maybe your Dad will bring you out to the ranch. I live only 11 miles from the #1 chicken fried steak place in all of Texas - named that by Texas Hi-ways magazine - if you can't cut it with a fork you send it back. Really good.

Your Dad, Sherry and Harvey came out this last weekend to do a little catfishin' - they caught a few but, stunk up the place with the stink bait they used. Even the ducks went to the other end of the tank. After about three dips, your Dad realized, he should have said YES to the "do you want to eat first - or fish" question. He washed his hands with salt at least three times before they left. He made Harvey leave the stink bait here - wouldn't even let it back in the car. Sherry and I stayed upwind. Pretty bad stuff - but, it caught fish.

Who dreamed you would rely on your Mother's example so soon? But, she had some great hats. You have her strength and your Dad's stubborness and determination. But mostly, God's love to hold you up. What a miracle story you will tell.

See ya when you hit Texas dirt.

Ouida

Grandma Ann said...

I have a cute crocheted one with a small bill on it that will really look cute!! I will give it to you when you come to Texas. I ordered you some shirts that will be delivered to your address in probably a little over a week. If they do not fit or you do not like I will return them. My prayers have been with you today. Love you Grandma Ann