Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pump it up

Just in case you were wondering, I survived my first day back on chemo. There's so much to update you on. I got my pic line put in, which was a little weird but ultimately very easy especially since they found a perfect large vein to put it in. Then I went over to the cancer center and they hooked me up to the anti-nausea drugs. After about 10 minutes of the anti-nausea drugs I noticed that whenever I looked up from my book, my eyesight was very fuzzy. I thought to myself, man, I really need to eat something. My blood sugar must be crazy low because I hadn't eaten anything for 15 hours or so. So right about the time I had opened an begun eating my granola bar to raise up my blood sugar, the nurse came by and asked how I was doing with the drugs. I told her I was fine, and she said, "Oh good, because sometimes this Zofran can caused blurry vision." To which I responded, "Oh, well, I do have that." It was very weird until it disappeared.


The other interesting part of my day results from my not computing when the nurses told me that one of my drugs would be a pump, that meant that it would be coming home with me. A pump is for a drug that has to be pumped into your body very slowly. Some people can have them for a week, but for me it is only 24 hours. So, if you can imagine, I have 2 tubes hanging out of my arm, one of which is connected by a long tube to a big bag of drugs and a little machine which slowly pumps it into me over the 24 hours. I have a square little bag, say 1'X 6"X 3" in which the bag of drugs goes, and I can't disconnect from it. They were with me when I tried to change clothes, when I went to dinner tonight, and when I went to bed. It's like a purse you can't put down and not even a cute one.

Anyways, I feel a little tired, but the nausea seems to be taken care of by the drugs, just like last time. I'll even be driving myself to this next session.
There's one more small thing I would like to address. I've had several people tell me how brave I am, and I want to assure people that I am not very brave at all. In fact, I'm just doing what I have to do and I am choosing to have a good attitude about it. I place all responsibility and credit to God, for allowing me to get through this once, and now twice, and keeping both Justin and I from going crazy. I have no magical personal strength, but in Christ who strengthens me. I just think its important to give the credit where credit is due.
Do not worry about anything, but in everything, in prayer and supplication,with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phillipians 4:6-7

No comments: