Saturday, November 17, 2007

A Beginning....or a middle.... or something

So, I've decided to start a blog both for my own outlet, and as a convenient information outlet for my family and friends. One week ago, I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. That's right, I have cancer. Big suck. According to my oncologist, whom I met on Friday, I've got 3-6 months of chemotherapy to come (depending on the staging of the cancer.) The good news: the outlook is good. Hodgkin's is very curable. If you've got to get a cancer, Hodgkin's lymphoma is not a bad one. On top of that, I have the most humongous support system any gal could ask for. Great family, amazing husband, and a wonderful church family. If only I could have a dog it would be perfect. The bad news: I've got chemotherapy and radiation ahead of me for months. I definitely will go bald. (there goes my supermodel aspirations). I look very bad in hats. Trust me. And I might have to quit my CPE if I am not healthy enough emotionally and physically to continue. (Not to mention, the reaction patients might have to a hairless chaplain)

I am nervous about starting treatment that I start on December 6. The doctor took a bone marrow sample on Friday, and it was horrible. When anyone talks about how bad it is, let me tell you that they are definitely not kidding. Awful. Horrible. Terrible. I hope that the chemo isn't as bad as that. Of course, there is some humor in it all. The three major side effects of this stuff includes fatigue, baldness, and nausea. A trifecta of fun for my poor husband. He'll have a bald wife who is too tired to clean (not like I do it much anyways), and who is throwing up. Did I mention that Justin hates throwing up? Seriously. It makes him ill. This is going to be a fun couple of months.

So if you are a friend, I hope you will enjoy this blog for updates. And if your a stranger....well.....hello.

Blessings

2 comments:

Marlene said...

Hello Katie,
You are so precious to me. To see you go through this is heartbreaking for me. I wish I could take this for you. I know God is walking each step with you. I hope you realize that you do have an army of people praying for you, and those prayers are mighty. You have the gift of seeing His miracles in all the little things and seeing His angels in everyone so keep your eyes on Him and see His handiwork around you. He will send you comfort, care and healing. I am praying for you. I love you very much. What more can I do? Just let me know. Love Marlene.

Andi Griffith said...

Dearest Katie, we are all so sorry you have to go thru this. I have asked some of my friends to add you to their prayers since you know you can never have too many. If there is anything I can do, PLEASE, ASK!!! At times like these, you have to abandon bashfulness (oh, wait, do you have that gene?) and ask for help, love, prayers or whatever else brings you comfort. We are here for you - lean on us. Love, Andi