Monday, November 24, 2008

Nobody ever expects the spanish inquisition

You got to know something is up when the blog has the above title. We have a small hitch in the stem cell transplant get-a-long, if you will. This includes a quasi-long explanation, so bear with me.

As my regular readers know, I had to give a bone marrow sample a couple of weeks ago, and from that they ran a battery of tests. The tests showed negative for any cancer, and then there were three tests they did to test the molecular structure of the cells. Turns out, high dose chemotherapy can damage the bone marrow, to the point of which they can't do a stem cell transplant. That's because it is the bone marrow that produces the stem cells, and the damaged bone marrow can make stem cells which are chromosomally abnormal. They did three particular tests in relation to that, and they looked at 20 cells in each test. In the first two tests, everything was completely normal. On the third test, there were 17 normal cells and 3 abnormal ones. My two oncologists, one of which is the head of the lymphoma department, felt that there was no need for concern and were ready to proceed. However, upon presenting my three measly wonky cells to the transplant committee it was decided that I should have another bone marrow sample taken just to make sure. So, either tomorrow or Wednesday I am going to go and get my third, yes, third bone marrow sample taken. The good news is that the transplant nurse doesn't think that there is anything to worry about, and that good chances are that I will still get the transplant. Moral of the story: Don't count your chickens until they're hatched. Or, better yet, Don't count your transplant until it's transplanted.

I am exhausted emotionally from my bone marrow/stem cell roller coaster I've been on today. But I think I am struggling even more so with how I reacted in the first place to the news. I realized that I still struggle with my nature to try and figure things out. I was so happy last week, because I had everything figured out. I knew the stem cell transplant was a go, and I thought that this had a pretty good chance of cure, so I was planning at least the next three months out. Then, wham, I am reminded a little harshly that I am not in control of my life. Heck, 3 of my tiny cells have more control right now than I do. It would be so much more comfortable to know all the answers, but I can't and I would be lying to you if I told you that I wasn't afraid. Although it is difficult, I have to give all this over to God and let Him carry it because I sure the heck can't. So, all of my prayer warriors out there, you know what to do. Please pray that this next bone marrow sample looks ok, and that I might still be eligible for the transplant. And please, pray for some peace and comfort for Justin and me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Katie this is your uncle David. A couple of truths in life mainly in mine.
First control is an illusion and once we except that things seem just a little simpler.
Second is that you are your mothers daughter. In my life i only had one hero and that was papa. That was until your mom came ill. The strength and class she displayed made me realize that i had another hero in my life. Every time that i feel things are getting tough i think of Denise and i buck up and try to face it straight on.
That being said she was an amazing woman and so are you. Be strong. And remember that we all love you. And you are in our prayers always.
Love
David

MaryAnn said...

Hang in there! We're all rooting for you and your normal bone marrow cells! And thank you for your post about control. I'm reading a wonderful book right now which talks about the lack of control in the everyday life of a parent. I'll have to send you one of the stories about a mother who accidentally drops her car keys in her own child's poop and learns to laugh it off since it was a crazy situation should had no control over. (It's starting to sound weird now. I'll just have to email it to you.)

In the meantime, have a Happy Turkey Day.