Monday, December 15, 2008

Packing for the weirdest vacation ever

Now that the dust of has settled on the news of the stem cell transplant, it's time to get ready for the next 2 months. It's like packing for the weirdest vacation ever, where you only need pajamas and things which don't contain any bacteria. Plus, we have to get the upstairs ready for the stream of caretakers who are going to be staying with us over the following weeks. But everything is being done with great thanksgiving. I keep telling people that this stem cell transplant is my Christmas present, and they typically respond with pity. However, I mean it with sincere joy that I get a transplant for Christmas. It's kind of ironic that it is taking place during this particular season when we celebrate Christ's birth because some people consider the date of their transplant their second birthday. It's the start of their new life.

So although it makes me sad that I won't be with my family and friends for Christmas, in some ways this transplant makes this advent season so memorable and special.

Finally, I feel the need to publicly acknowledge a couple of people. I generally don't do this because if had to list all the people I am thankful for I could go on forever. However, these warrant some special notice. I posted several weeks ago about how we had an exceptionally large co-pay to make for some drugs that I needed. When I wrote about it my purpose was to let people know what was going on, never to solicit financial aid. There were some people who took it upon themselves to try and help us out with our expenses and they sent us money. Although we never asked for it, we were overwhelmed with gratitude for their generosity. I don't want to write their names, because I don't want to upset them...but you know who you are and the thank you notes are in the mail. I just can't tell you what a help it was. It ratchets down the stress on an immensely stressful situation, and we will never be able to thank you enough. (This is not a solicitation for more funds.)

Of course, there have been all of you who have sent a card or a book or a hat, and those who have cooked us a meal and bought us tequila. (For Justin, not me.) Thank you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. I could never really express to you how much each one means to us.

No comments: